How to Cook Ground Beef (Boiled Ground Beef)
Want to know how to cook ground beef for tacos, chili, and more? Boiling is a simple, quick, and healthy method for cooking ground beef!
Is it better to fry or boil ground beef?
What to Make with Ground Beef
- Ground Beef Tacos
- Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
- Cheesy Enchilada Stuffed Peppers
- Chili (Cincinnati Chili, Easy 6 Ingredient Chili)
- Beef Stroganoff Casserole
- Chili Mac
- Beef Bolognese
This is such an easy meal prep idea. Keep it in your fridge for the week, and use it with other recipes as needed!
How to Boil Ground Beef
- Place the ground beef in a pot.
- Fill the pot with enough water to fully cover the meat.
- Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat into small crumbles.
- Bring the water to a boil, stirring often so the beef stays in small pieces.
- Once it boils, lower the temperature, cover the pot, and let it simmer until the beef is fully cooked through.
- Drain the boiled ground beef, and season it to your liking (or whatever your recipe calls for).
How long to cook ground beef?
Once the water has reached a boil, cover the pot with a lid and let it simmer. It should only need about 15 minutes to fully cook through. The meat will turn brown when it’s done, so keep an eye on it.
What temperature to cook ground beef?
Ground beef should be cooked to 160°F to be considered safe to eat. Use a meat thermometer to check internal meat temperatures, and check this Meat Temperature Guide for more information about the best temperatures for all types of meat.
How do you drain ground beef?
After you’ve finished boiling the ground beef, you’ll need to drain it. To avoid letting any fat or grease fall down the drain of your sink, set up a strainer inside of a large bowl. Pour the pot of boiled beef through the strainer, and the bowl will catch the grease. Then you can gently rinse the beef after draining if needed to help remove extra fat.
How long does cooked ground beef last in the refrigerator?
If you’re cooking ground beef ahead of time, or you just have extra, store it in an airtight container (let it cool before storing). Boiled ground beef will last in the refrigerator for a couple of days. You can also freeze it for 1-2 months for later use.
How to Cook Ground Beef for Tacos
What spices go well with ground beef?
See the recipe card below for more details on how to cook ground beef by boiling. Enjoy!
Looking for more cooking tutorials and basic how to’s?
- How to Cut an Onion (Chop, Mince, or Dice)
- How to Cut Recipes in Half
- How to Cook Caramelized Onions
- Basic Cooking Measurements Chart
- How to Roast Garlic
- How to Cook a Baked Potato
- How to Meal Prep for the Week